A wise man once said – “Stronger knees and hips are reasons for a happy life.”
As we grow, the visual effects of ageing can be seen clearly from the face, body structure and skin. However, the same is not the case with muscles and bone health – it can only be felt inside the body.
Sharing the importance of knees and hips, Dr. Shekhar Singal-the best orthopaedic surgeon in Ludhiana explains that these are major muscular structure of legs that carry us throughout the life. It is natural to feel pain and weakness in both knees and hips over time – especially when you do not take extra care towards the muscle health.
He further adds, that arthritis is a disease that damages bones, joints and muscles of the body due to which a person feels painful sensations in the body that harms the overall health. Furthermore, Osteoarthritis is commonly seen among adults and the old age group – over 30 million patients are known to be affected by Osteoarthritis disease in the U.S.A.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Dr. Shekhar- the best orthopedic doctor in Punjab explains that knees and hips contain various movable parts such as ligaments, cartilage and joints. When cartilage breaks down in between the muscles, this could be due to lack of proper diet, physical activity or it could be an accidental cause.
- Osteoarthritis causes inflammation, severe pain and stiffness.
- Patient feels difficulty in sitting, standing and climbing.
What causes Osteoarthritis?
With the passing years, arthritis is naturally seen in adults. However, from the past decade people from a relatively younger age-group (less than 30 years) are also experiencing this degenerative disease in large numbers.
Dr. Shekhar –Spine Surgery specialist in Ludhiana throws light on the main reasons behind pain in knees and hips:
- Lack of Vitamin intake and physical exercise.
- Putting extra weight and stress on the joints causes breaks in cartilage.
- Smoking cigarettes makes the nervous system weak and increases the chances of joint pain.
3 Tips to keep Knees and Hips Healthy and Strong
1. Perform Exercise to strengthen Knees and Hips
Exercise has no comparison. Physically active people tend to live longer and happier than those who do not step out of their comfort zones.
- Common exercises to gain muscle powers are Squats, Step-ups and Weight Lifting.
- Cycling and Swimming are low impact exercises that leave a healthy impact on the entire body.
- We often overlook walking and running – although they are the most powerful simple exercises to maintain an overall great physique and strong legs.
2. Eat a Balanced Diet and Supplements for Healthy Knees and Hips
Add all rainbow colours to your plate – eat seasonal fruits, broccoli, avocado, omega-3, Vitamin E, nuts, dry fruits, fish oil to your diet. This will help in making the knees and hips muscles stronger and elastic.
- Bright fruits and vegetables are a great source of Anti-oxidants.
- Anti-inflammatory foods such as Pomegranate Juice, Vitamin E, food grains, garlic, and onion are highly effective in reducing swelling on knees and hips.
- Regular intake of supplements can reduce the possibility of ache in joints and muscular strains.
3. Avoid Injuries and See Your Doctor for a Better Muscle Health
While taking part in sports, gym classes, Zumba or dance – beware of accuracy. Otherwise, improper positioning can cause a lot of muscular pain and a person may even develop osteoarthritis.
- Stretching muscles before sports activities protect you from muscle strains.
- Proper shoe size and shoe pads protect the ankles and thighs.
- Seek a good trainee who can guide you on the best exercises for muscles.
- Never hesitate to get a medical consultation when required.
The Bottom Line
Health is a real wealth. It’s never too late to start investing in it to attain ageless joints. Maintaining a good routine can help in keeping the knees and hips in the best condition.
You may feel a bit exhausted in the beginning, but within a week or two – the arthritis patient will feel a magical shift in his cartilage and joints.
Save your knees and hips! Avoid going dependent on external factors.
Having a constant pain in hips and knees that is slowly getting unbearable?
Don’t ignore! Call us today at 98569-00169 to book an appointment with Dr. Shekhar and get the best treatment for your joints.